eThekwini Municipality has advised residents that parts of the central region and some areas in the south and western regions, of the city will experience an interruption to the municipal water supply.
, which has spread its strain on the water supply to the central areas of the city, including but not limited to Shallcross,
“This has demanded immediate restrictions to these areas to allow central reservoirs to build up and prevent the system from total collapse. For this reason, areas in the above-mentioned regions will experience shortage of water supply between 8pm to 3am commencing from today,” the eThekwini Municipality said.
“The repairs of the pumps are currently underway and are expected to be completed in the next four weeks. Umgeni Water technicians are working untiringly to reduce this period,” the eThekwini Municipality said.
Areas affected in the eThekwini Municipality
The following reservoirs and areas will experience water shortage during this process:
1. Northdene 1, 2, 3 Reservoir: Malvern, Escombe, Northdene Industrial Park, Hillary, Queensburgh, Burlington, Queensmead Industrial Park, Mount Vernon, Memorial Park
2. Shallcross Reservoir: Shallcross, Burlington Heights, Chiltern Heights
3. Klaarwater Reservoir and H/L: Klaarwater, Crossmoor, Shallcross
4. Firwood 1, 2 Reservoir and the H/L: Clover Dairies, Escombe, Firwood, Northdene, Moseley Park
5. Ridley Park Reservoir: Hillary, Chatsworth Main Rd, Sarnia
6. Hairnager Reservoir: Harinager
7. Westcliffe Reservoir: Bayview, Havenside, Yellowood Park
8. Chatsworth 2 Reservoir: Woodhurst, Westcliffe, Bayview, Silverglen
9. Chatsworth 3 Reservoir: Croftdene, Silverglen, Arena Park
10. Chatsworth 1 Reservoir: Woodhurst, Westcliffe, Havenside, Silverglen, Mobeni Heights
11. Chats 4 Reservoir: Welbedacht, Montford, Risecliffe, Arena Park, Moorton, Crossmoor
12. Fairwood Reservoir: Fairwood area
“Water tankers have been mobilised to respond to affected areas. The municipality apologises for the inconvenience caused and requests residents to use water sparingly,” the city said.
For more information regarding water supply, members of the public can contact the eThekwinin Municipality call centre on 080 131 3013,