Jannik Vestergaard headed in a dramatic injury-time equaliser as Southampton pegged again Chelsea to assert a degree in a Premier League thriller at Stamford Bridge.
Ralph Hasenhuttl’s aspect appeared to be heading for defeat however Danish defender Vestergaard was in the best place to flick dwelling a Theo Walcott shot from the sting of the world.
Chelsea had been in management at 2-Zero up by means of two excellent Timo Werner objectives – the primary courtesy of a chic dummy which bamboozled Jan Bednarek earlier than drilling in, and the second as he lobbed the ball over goalkeeper Alex McCarthy and nodded dwelling.
When it regarded just like the hosts had been cruising, Southampton hit again as Danny Ings went spherical keeper Kepa Arrizabalaga to complete and Che Adams punished dire Chelsea defending to smash dwelling an equaliser.
The Blues responded simply 121 seconds later with Werner sliding the ball throughout the field for compatriot Kai Havertz to transform a simple end which gave the impression to be the winner, however Vestergaard’s late effort sealed a draw.
Chelsea’s defensive frailties show pricey
Despite a top-four end final season, the issues for Frank Lampard’s aspect had been apparent – weak on the again, they paid a heavy value for their frailties in opposition to Southampton.
Chelsea conceded 54 objectives final time period, greater than another staff that completed within the prime 10, however a heavy spending spree in the summertime invested extra in attacking additions than defensive reinforcements.
The skilled Thiago Silva, introduced in on a free after leaving Paris St-Germain, missed out and goalkeeper Edouard Mendy suffered an harm on worldwide obligation with Senegal.
It meant the error-prone Kepa Arrizabalaga was again in aim and his contribution for Southampton’s second aim was removed from spectacular, however he may do nothing about their equaliser.
The dwelling aspect didn’t capitalise on champions Liverpool’s 2-2 draw at Everton earlier on Saturday, with them lacking out on the possibility to go second and as a substitute staying sixth.
But whereas they work on resolving their backline issues, they’ll haven’t any issues going ahead with the fireplace energy they possess.
Prolific striker Werner regarded like heading to champions Liverpool however the switch didn’t materialise and he showcased why Chelsea had been fast to pay £54m for the RB Leipzig man.
Werner, who scored 34 objectives final season, was a continuing menace for the Saints backline, his low centre of gravity permitting him to shift left and proper, bringing in regards to the first aim.
He had his again to aim a good distance, however his step-over and dart left Bednarek trailing and, regardless of having work to do with three defenders and the goalkeeper in attendance, Werner slipped a cool end into the underside nook.
Werner triggered issues for the identical defender for the second aim, holding off the towering Bednarek from Jorginho’s raking go, calmly lofting the ball over the advancing McCarthy and heading in from shut vary.
Chelsea’s harmful trio of attackers mixed for the third as Christian Pulisic discovered Werner’s run into the field and he moved it on for Havertz’s first league aim.
With Hakim Ziyech making his debut off the bench within the closing 18 minutes, in addition to the choices of Tammy Abraham, Olivier Giroud and Callum Hudson-Odoi obtainable to Lampard, Chelsea won’t have issues scoring objectives.
It is on the again the place they continue to be most susceptible.
Walcott sends reminder of skills
Southampton began the season poorly with back-to-back defeats however have responded in wonderful style by selecting up two victories and a draw.
They had been outplayed for massive components by Chelsea’s vibrant offence however Hasenhuttl will probably be delighted with them sustaining their unbeaten run so late within the day.
The guests punished Chelsea’s particular person errors for their first two objectives, Adams selecting off Havertz within the closing third, slotting the ball by means of to companion Ings to complete.
And it was Adams’ business which noticed him internet, harrying Kurt Zouma right into a backpass which offered Arrizabalaga quick, although the goalkeeper ought to have accomplished higher to clear it, permitting the Southampton striker to maintain the ball in play and smash into the online.
Meanwhile, Walcott, who was the membership’s youngest first-team participant at 16 years previous, returned to Southampton on mortgage from Everton, 14 years after leaving to hitch Arsenal.
The former England worldwide pale on the Toffees and was nameless for a lot of this contest, however sprang to life within the second half to remind folks what he’s nonetheless able to.
The 31-year-old burst ahead with tempo and laid the ball off for Adams, who drilled vast and it was his go to Ings which compelled Arrizabalaga into a superb save.
Walcott stayed alert within the 92nd minute, drilling a half-cleared nook again into the hazard zone for Vestergaard to stoop and earn a draw.
Chelsea open their Champions League marketing campaign in opposition to Sevilla on Tuesday (kick-off 20:00 BST), whereas Southampton are in motion once more within the league subsequent Sunday in opposition to Everton (14:00).
Chelsea defence will get the Blues – the stats
- Chelsea have misplaced simply one among their final 9 dwelling Premier League video games (W7 D1), after shedding 4 of the seven earlier than that (W2 D1).
- Southampton have misplaced simply one among their final eight away Premier League video games (W4 D3) after shedding two in a row instantly earlier than that in February.
- Chelsea have conceded a mean of 1.5 objectives per recreation within the Premier League beneath Frank Lampard (63 in 43 video games), the Blues’ worst charge beneath any boss to supervise a couple of recreation within the competitors.
- Since the beginning of final season, solely Robert Lewandowski, Ciro Immobile and Cristiano Ronaldo have scored extra objectives in Europe’s prime 5 leagues than Timo Werner (30), with right this moment’s strikes the German’s first two league objectives for Chelsea.
- Timo Werner and Kai Havertz grew to become the fifth and sixth Germans to attain for Chelsea within the Premier League, a joint-high together with Arsenal and Manchester City (six every).
- Since the beginning of final season, solely Jamie Vardy (28) has scored extra Premier League objectives than Southampton striker Danny Ings (26).
- Chelsea’s Ben Chilwell has been instantly concerned in 4 objectives within the Premier League in opposition to Southampton (one aim, three assists), his greatest return in opposition to any aspect within the competitors.
- Southampton’s Che Adams scored and assisted in the identical recreation for the primary time since October 2018 for Birmingham in opposition to Sheffield Wednesday within the Championship.
- Theo Walcott made his first look for Southampton in 14 years and 276 days, when he performed in opposition to QPR within the Championship in January 2006.
- 21ChilwellBooked at 48minutes
- 10PulisicSubstituted forJamesat 87′minutes
- 19MountSubstituted forZiyechat 72′minutes
- 11WernerSubstituted forAbrahamat 90′minutes
- 6RomeuBooked at 84minutesSubstituted forDialloat 87′minutes
- 11RedmondSubstituted forTellaat 77′minutes
- 10AdamsSubstituted forLongat 86′minutes
Match ends, Chelsea 3, Southampton 3.
Second Half ends, Chelsea 3, Southampton 3.
Attempt missed. Theo Walcott (Southampton) proper footed shot from outdoors the field misses to the left. Assisted by Ibrahima Diallo.
Corner, Southampton. Conceded by Kurt Zouma.
Goal! Chelsea 3, Southampton 3. Jannik Vestergaard (Southampton) header from the centre of the field to the underside left nook. Assisted by Theo Walcott following a set piece state of affairs.
Attempt missed. Theo Walcott (Southampton) proper footed shot from the best aspect of the field misses to the left following a set piece state of affairs.
Foul by Reece James (Chelsea).
Ryan Bertrand (Southampton) wins a free kick on the left wing.
Substitution, Chelsea. Tammy Abraham replaces Timo Werner.
Foul by Kurt Zouma (Chelsea).
Shane Long (Southampton) wins a free kick within the defensive half.
Substitution, Chelsea. Reece James replaces Christian Pulisic.
Substitution, Southampton. Ibrahima Diallo replaces Oriol Romeu.
Substitution, Southampton. Shane Long replaces Che Adams.
Kai Havertz (Chelsea) wins a free kick within the attacking half.
Foul by Ryan Bertrand (Southampton).
Oriol Romeu (Southampton) is proven the yellow card for a nasty foul.
N’Golo Kanté (Chelsea) wins a free kick within the attacking half.
Foul by Oriol Romeu (Southampton).
Attempt saved. Danny Ings (Southampton) proper footed shot from the centre of the field is saved within the backside proper nook. Assisted by Theo Walcott.