The electric grid is vital to our everyday lives. It is fundamental for the health, safety, and well-being of our communities, and provides the platform for our economy and our societal and technological advances. SERC’s mission is to reduce risks to the reliability and security of the electric grid (also known as the bulk power system), not only for today but also for the future.
To achieve this mission, we maintain a diverse team of experts across numerous disciplines in order to address the complex, evolving, and dynamic challenges facing the grid. Our team also partners with the best and brightest individuals from both the power industry and the federal government to understand and address the challenges facing the grid. These key partnerships make our work more informed, pragmatic, responsive, and impactful.
The Accountant will be a key player in the Finance and Accounting department supporting the Chief Financial Officer and report to the Finance Supervisor. This role performs a variety of accounting work assignments including Accounts Payable, preparing journal entries, contributing to month-end close activities, including balance sheet reconciliations, P&L variance analysis, and ensuring accuracy and compliance with GAAP and SERC’s standards and policies. Generate ad-hoc financial reports, perform general ledger account analysis and technical accounting research as requested. This position works under tight deadlines and a multitude of accounting activities including general ledger review, coordinating month-end close activities, first tier review of financial statements, year-end audit preparation, and special projects.
General ledger & financial reporting
• Prepare and analyze monthly financial reports, including year-over-year and budget to actual reports. Assist with questions related to budget to actual reconciliations, research transactions as needed, identify anomalies, and initiate corrections as necessary
• Prepare monthly balance sheet reconciliations on a timely basis and maintain strong controls and sufficiently detailed supporting documentation.
• Provide financial information to management by researching and analyzing accounting data and preparing reports
• Prepare and record journal entries as needed
• Lead Accounts Payable including maintaining W-9 forms for all vendors, reviewing purchase orders, processing vendor invoices for payment by reviewing and coding vendor invoices and documentation in SAP Concur prior to approval and disbursements
• Maintain an electronic filing system for all financial records in compliance with SERC’s Record Retention Policy
• Issue federal 1099 forms to vendors at year-end
Annual project support
• Actively collaborate on internal and external audits including preparation of audit support and responding to auditor inquiries
• Assist in the development of the annual SERC Business Plan & Budget
• Lead in the preparation of annual IRS Form 990 Tax Return and annual property tax return
• Facilitate with continuous improvement, automation, and internal control initiatives in support of corporate strategies
• Support the Finance & Accounting team with special projects, ad-hoc research, and analysis
• Review semi-monthly payroll with HR prior to processing
• Reconcile and request funding for certain benefit plans, including 401(k), 457(b), FSA and HSA
Qualifications and experience:
• Bachelor’s degree in accounting, finance, or related field
• A minimum of 5 years progressive professional accounting experience including general ledger, accounts payable, accounts receivables, budgeting, tax responsibilities, account analysis, and reporting
• Excellent organizational and time management Ability to prioritize and meet multiple and changing deadlines
• Technical proficiency in Microsoft Office applications with emphasis on Excel
• Excellent problem-solving skills
• Exceptional verbal and written communication skills and a team-oriented mentality is a must
• Experience with Sage MIP Fund Accounting (Abila) and SAP Concur a plus
• CPA, CPA candidate, and/or master’s degree are a plus
Commitment to culture:
SERC is dedicated to being a highly desirable place to work through culture and purpose. We place a strategic focus on critical elements such as Diversity & Inclusion, Innovation & Collaboration, and Organizational Development & Talent Management. Through this strategic focus, SERC has identified its four Cultural Attributes that we believe keep us on the path of continuous improvement.
Is trustworthy, principled, and respectful and strives to create value that reduces risk. Has a positive vision and is actively building support to execute it. A leader takes personal accountability for the outcomes of their choices and actions, acts with professionalism and adapts to change in a calm and positive manner. A leader will, when appropriate, ask questions and recommend alternative solutions to new processes or procedures
Partner and engage, both internally and externally, to drive meaningful action by leveraging skills, knowledge and tools. This would include effective written and verbal communication to ensure ideas and messages are clearly and concisely conveyed, being responsive to all stakeholders, understanding goals and objectives while exceeding key metrics and targets. Encourages dialog and candor while making it safe for others to voice their opinion to ensure all alternative viewpoints are heard, they are an active listener
Being credible, objective, disciplined, and sought after to help with continuous learning, improvements, and innovations. Exhibit knowledge of and ensure compliance with industry best practices and regulations. Take the initiative to set priorities and convey important information in a timely and efficient manner. Employ good judgment when evaluating a problem by analyzing risk and identifying consequences while demonstrating a sense of organizational stewardship.
Proactively demonstrate initiative, intentionality and resourcefulness to help anticipate and navigate current and future challenges. Committed to the quality of work and ensures work is delivered at appropriate deadlines while seeking operational efficiencies. Initiate appropriate follow-up while leveraging industry knowledge and business acumen to make appropriate decisions. Treat others with compassion and empathy and embrace the organization’s mission and vision while providing meaningful contributions to organizational endeavors
If the traits and characteristics listed in our Cultural Attributes resonate with you, we encourage you to apply.
Salary and benefits:
The salary range for this position is DOE. We offer a generous PTO package; paid holidays; medical, dental, vision, life, short-term and long-term disability insurance, and a 401(k) plan with an organization match.
SERC is an Equal Opportunity Employer